Even though significant effort ought to be pooled into addressing major flaws in road system design, but significant work need to address the road system user as well. A safe road system demands safe and responsible road use and reducing unsafe behavior. This is especially crucial in regards to young people and novice drivers.
The "Speak up" campaign or "سلامتك مسئوليتك: إتكلم" is there for designed to sensitize all road users, namely passengers, to have an active role in speaking up against unsafe behaviors that may put their lives in jeopardy.
In Egypt, this is specially important seeing:
- A demographic population structure with a majority of youth under 30 years of age,
- Increased mobility of youth during the summer months (especially after the fasting month of Ramadan),
- The very high rates of teen fatalities due to road injuries approaching 35/100,000 (the number one killer of youth between the ages of 15 and 29),
- Increased distracted driving especially due to increased use of gadgets and hand-held devices during driving,
- High probability of fatal crashes in the first three years after receiving driver’s license.